Monday, July 21, 2014

Summer Fun (Long post)


I can't believe I went 2 months without blogging! This summer has been so much fun and flown by!  I haven't really applied henna much this summer, I did a couple of things at the beginning of break around June but never really got around to posting them, been a bit busy hanging out with friends and gaming ha! My cousin and a friend from out of the country asked for henna before their trip to England and of course I was happy to oblige, or rather apply. I did a mandala on my cousin's shoulder and attempted to copy a tribal design from a picture of a tattoo on to my friend's chest. It didn't come out as I had hoped but hey, that's what can happen when you try things out for the first time and that's okay! "If at first you don't succeed, // Try, try, try again". - William E. Hickson. I also did an upper back design for my mom and she really liked it but unfortunately the stain didn't take (we think her skin just doesn't stain which can happen for some people, it is more difficult for designs to stain on skin that isn't thick like your palms or the soles of your feet) but it was pretty while it lasted!

Anissa's Shoulder Mandala




If I were to redo this design again, I'd make the lines thicker for a better stain but other than that I was really happy to finally do this design that I drew out last year.

Brad's Tribal Piece



When I first started with this one I wasn't too sure where to start and it wasn't until afterwards that I realized that I should have started with the face and worked my way out from there since the top part is supposed to be the headpiece and the bottom appears to be a beard. I really like the idea of the design and hope to try this out again in the future. 

At first I didn't want to post this because I wasn't that thrilled with how it came out since I messed up with the shaping but then I thought, what kind of message would I be sending if I only showed the designs that I felt really confident in and never my mistakes? I feel that it's important to acknowledge your mistakes because I think that making mistakes is one of the, if not the, most crucial part(s) of learning, and I wouldn't ever want to give off the impression that I always get it right because I don't and again, that's perfectly fine! Never be afraid to mess up or else you're just going to inhibit yourself from doing your best.

Mom's Upper Back




Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer break!

No comments:

Post a Comment